In our walk in the woods this evening we found and picked some wild butternuts ( also known as white walnuts) and hazelnuts before the critters got to them. Now they are laid out on a screen in the greenhouse to dry. I am so happy with today’s discovery.
Posts tagged ‘Hazelnut’
This weekend is filled with gardening and yard cleanup, so I got a quick start on our two days of outside fun by making gluten-free English muffins for Sunday and hazelnut muffins for today.
Hot herbal tea and a couple of hazelnut muffins high in nutrients and fiber were a great way to start the day.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup teff flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 eggs or egg substitute (to make it vegan)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 12 unit muffin pan with oil.
- Combine sugar, flours, tapioca starch, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nuts and raisins.
- Mix eggs, oil and apple juice and add to flour mixture, mixing quickly.
- Fill prepared muffin 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature and freeze all leftover muffins to keep them fresh.