My wonderful honey volunteered me to make a desert for the monthly community choir board meeting. So I made one of my standby deserts that is always receive well, fruity oatmeal cookie bars. Not only is this desert quick and easy to make but it uses few ingredients and allows me to use up some of the jam I can each year.
Today I used a cherry pie jam I made and canned last year as the center in the bars. Please excuse the plastic Christmas tray in the first picture. Over the years I have learned to only send food items on trays I don’t mind loosing, since the love of my life often forgets to bring them home from events.
The recipe I use is:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit if you are using salted butter)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 small container of homemade jam or 3/4 cup of store bought jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8 inch pan and line it with parchment paper
- Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and rolled oats. Rub in butter with your hands to form a crumbly mixture
- Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan
- Spread the jam to within /4 inch of the edge
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven until lightly brown
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars