After three years and more than 2,000 hand stitched hexagons I am about a week away from finishing a scrappy quilt top.
Archive for the ‘2019 quilts’ Category
Gilded Komons finished after a little over two years. The quilt is named for the type of kimonos worn by Japanese women shopping and for visits at one point in time. The fabric in Komon kimonos contained small repeated patterns of items found in nature, but as far as I could tell they did not use gold or crystals, so I added “guilded” to the title.
It didn’t take 24 months to finish the quilt, but the chain of events to bring it from start to finish spanned approximately two years. finished to base top of this quilt about 18 months ago and placed it on the pile of unquilted tops where it remained until I convinced my friend Joanne (owner of Splitting Stitches ) that she had the long arm talents needed to quilt the top (she is very good at edge-to-edge quilting but this point did very little custom quilting). After a couple of planning talks she agreed to talk the project on, so the top moved from my pile to her work pile, where it sat for about six months waiting for her to build the confidence to put the top on one of her long arm machines. Over the past several months the top moved on and off her machine between other jobs, and visits and email exchanges to discuss design and in some cases design modifications. At the end of January Joanne set me photos of the quilted top and asked when we could meet to discuss the quilt.
The first week of February we met to view the top and discuss the next steps. Joanne’s work was lovely and made the piece shine.
Now it was my turn to get to work. I added a number of embleshments to give the quilt some additional dimensions. Folded fans were added to the back of each kimono, the center flower received some heavy beading and a 3D gold center to add some bling and to draw the attention. A few crystal butterflys were were added both the quilt fronts and backs to reflect light when the piece is hung.
I am not sure if the embleshments are done, so the quilt has been hung in my sewing room waiting for feedback from my collaborator and so that I can study it for a bit.
Spent today adding fans to the kimono backs and butterfly shaped crystals to the backs and fronts. Since the top is quilted all of the stitching for the embellishments have to be started from the top and embedded batting, needless to say progress is slow. After seven hours of stitching I started making mistakes so put the quilt aside to finish another day.
I decided to step away from my Diamonds and Ice quilt to start the bead work on my Koran Kimonos quilt. The quilt has been picked, quilted and bound, so a 2 needle couching method is being used to add seed beads around the flower petals in the center of the quilt. This technique allows the stitches securing the beads to be hidden in the wadding instead of showing on the front or back of the quilt.
Once the seed beads have been attached, small crystal butterfly and beads will be added to each kimono to reflect light when the piece is hung.
Finally finished the blocks and borders for the Diamonds & Ice wall hanging. I love the rich color palette on this piece. If all works according to schedule the top will be sandwiched and quilting stRted this weekend.
Getting ready to add the second border around the cross stitch quilt center to adjust the size for block attachment. Each of the quilt blocks contains a double windmill pattern and is 6 inches square. For this wall hanging blocks will be placed three deep on all sides and finished with a triple border.
I really like mixing needlework and quilting together.
New project start to bring in 2019 will combine cross stitch and quilting. I spent the past few weeks selecting fabrics and designing a finish of a piece of cross stitch completed last year. Since the needlework piece contains a series of diamonds filled with vintage patterns, gilded fabrics containing vintage patterns, and double windmill pattern were selected for the project.
The following images will step you through how I took my paper design from concept to the design wall.