Another 2018 quilt finish. The fabric for this teatime quilt was sitting in my stash for about 10 years waiting for that special person in need of a new quilt. The person has been identified, and thanks to the longarm work of Joanne at Splitting Stitches, a cute steaming teapot and flower quilting stitch was matched to the top allowing me to finish the piece in time for holiday gift giving.
With the animals safely closed in their homes and the falling snow it was a perfect morning to finish binding the quilt for my little Christmas elf. I designed and pieced the top, but my friend Joanne the owner of Splitting Stitches worked her magic on the quilting with a lovely snowflake and swirl stitch pattern.
Just finished binding a gift for one of my aunts. She really loves bright colors and has been after me to make a quilt for their shore house, so I made her a quilt named Sunny Days. It is made of simple log cabin blocks, but the layout of the unit, and the lovely longarm quilting done by my friend Joanne at Splitting Stitches remind me of a bright sunny day.
Finished up the quilt top for my little Christmas elf. Used some holiday fabrics that I have collected over the past 15 years to make the postage stamp blocks. Now to just get off to my favorite longarm lady for quilting.
The first of 22 trees of life completed. The quilt will be lovely but the piecing will be very tedious. Besides having many small pieces, the old technique of setting blocks on point will be used for the top. After creating the first block I can see why I had this pattern for 15 years before starting the project.
To create the large number of half triangle squares for my tree of life quit the following quick piecing method was used to create 16 half triangle blocks at a time.
To start with you will need: fabric pieces cut for both triangles in the block, mechanical pencil, rotary cutter, and ruler marked at the cut point. I am making 1 1/2 inch blocks so my fabric pieces were cut to 6 I inches by 9 iniches, and ruler is marked with painters tape at 1 7/8 iniches.
Next on the back side of each of the light fabric pieces make a grid with pencil. An inch at the bottom and right, and in my case 1 7/8 iniches intervals up and from the right to left.
Next add the stitch guides by drawing a diagonal line through the squares. For this 16 block piece you should end up with two diamond shapes inside of the grid. Then sandwich the marked fabric piece with the contrasting fabric piece face to face.
Stitch a 1/4 inich away from each side of the diamond lines.
The stitched fabric sandwich should look like this picture.
Cut along all of the pencil lines. It is easiest to cut all of the straight line first, then move onto the diagonal cuts.
Once all of the pencil lines have been cut you will have 16 half square blocks that can be pressed and tails trimmed.
Our crops are almost done and the canning and dehydrating of our fruits and vegetables has slowed to a trickle, so now I can dedicate some more time to my fiber art projects. The big project I will be working on this winter is a tree of life quit. Thus far all of the base fabric pieces have been cut, a few blocks started, and I have started marking grids on the fabric pieces that will be cut into half triangle squares. Since the quilt top will require 1,528 half triangle squares, 1,184 of them which are only 1 1/2 inches square, I will be using a speed piecing method that will be covered in detail in my next post for this project.
This summer I moved my craft space from the family to one of the small rooms in the basement. I the process of unpacking my fabric in the new space I ran across a tea pot print fabric that i bought about 10 years ago, placed in the fabric bin and completely forgot about. Before it was forgotten again it was moved to my cutting table for my summer rainy day project.
The rains yesterday and today allowed me to finish the top that I have named tea time, since I love a good cup of tea on a overcast rainy days.
Teatime top 64 x 72 I inichs in size
Closeup of Teatime
Making slow but sure progress on my king sized English paper piecing project. Started working on squaring up the edges of the project. This process turned out to be a bit more complex than I had envisioned, especially since I didn’t bother to develop a pattern before starting the project, but I think I have a template now. So it should be smooth sailing going forward. Still hope to finish this project this year.
Finished hand piecing the last of the hexagon diamond blocks over the winter, now it is time to piece the 3000 English paper pieced hexies into a scrappy king sized star quilt.