After a week of temperatures in the negative digits we really wanted a hardy, flavorful soup that didn’t contain a huge number of calories. What I came up with was a yummy and colorful vegan vegetable soup full of protein and fiber. The recipe for this lovey and easy to make soup is as follows.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small knob ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven. Add carrots and onion to pot and cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, ginger and turmeric to pot and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in water, vegetable broth and quinoa to pot and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Add kale and chickpeas and cover pot. Cook soup for another 10 minutes.
- Whisk in miso, turn off heat and then stir in green onions.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread.