With the outside temperatures below zero and the in house temperatures in the mid 60s i decided to warm us and the house up be making a spicy vegan gingerbread to enjoy with our morning tea. The recipe for this yummy treat is as follows.
- 6 tablespoons of canola oil
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 3/4 cup vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8 inch square pan or the equivalent.
- Heat the oil to a small pan. Add the ginger and sauté over a medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the maple syrup, molasses and apple sauce and beat at high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger and oil mixture and beat for an additional minute. Set mixture aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the wet mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the batter into a prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top of the bread springs back when touched.