It is that time of year when mangos are plentiful and inexpensive and find their way into many dishes in my house. Today I used a few very ripe ones to make a mango upside down cake for desert.
The following is the recipe I used to make this moist and flavorful cake.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 ripe mangos chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter into a 1/4 sheet cake pan. Swirl the butter around the bottom and sides of pan and the sprinkle the brown sugar on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk and 1/2 cup of the chopped mango until batter is smooth.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the mango on top of the brown sugar in the pan.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.