Spring has finally arrived so the chickens and ducks have started laying again, which means it is time to start making more egg based dishes.
Today I made a family favorite — chocolate egg custard. This tasty dish is light, sweet and creamy. Best of all it uses a limited number of ingredients and only takes about 10 minutes mix at 45 minutes to cook, which makes the custard a great weeknight treat. The recipe for the custard is as follows.
- 4 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the milk in a large saucepan until bubbles form around the edges. Remove from the burner and set aside.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cocoa to a blinder and give it a few pulses until blended.
- Turn the blender to a low speed and gradually add the warmed milk to the egg mixture.
- Pour the custard into a 9×13 casserole dish or 9 custard cups.
- Place the dish or cups in a large roasting pan and fill the pan with enough water to rehash about an inch from the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the custard has just set.
- Cool before serving.