This morning I finished sewing the binding around a hand pieced wall quilt that was in my sewing travel box for 18 months. I used the English paper piecing technique and a number of hand dyed and batik fabric scraps to create this piece. The top was then sandwiched with Soft and Natural 100% cotton batting and the black batik fabric used for some of the stars on the top. I then machine quilted the top with a smoke colored filament thread.
I love English paper piecing so much that I am currently working on a king sizes quilt top using 1 inch hexagons that are being arranged in an interlocking star pattern. The nice this is that I am using several years worth of fabric scraps to create the units. Working with the scraps from various quilts that I have made over the years brings back lots of memories and adds an interesting history to what I suspect will be a three year project.