We have been blessed with another sunny winter day so I decided to make some low sugar bran muffins as a treat for my honey. For some reason the chickens decided that they wanted to take a rest from laying so we have no eggs in the house. Since there was a missing ingredient I used flax eggs for recipe which reduced the calories and made the recipe vegan. The resulting muffins were light and tasty so I thought I would share the recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups bran cereal
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 5 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries (use the ones sweetened with apple juice if possible)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare two 12 cup muffin tins (I like to use silicone muffin tins — they do not have to be oiled and are reusable)
- In a small bowl stir bran cereal into 1 cup of apple juice and set aside for 15 minutes to soften.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking power, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat flax meal with the remaining 3/4 cup of apple juice and beat for about a minute. Blend in oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir in the bran and apple sauce mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just incorporated — do not over mix.
- Divide the mixture among the muffin tins (an ice cream scoop makes quick work of this).
- Bake for 7 minutes, turn the tins and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the middle come out clean.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Freeze any muffins not consumed the day made.