Today was a big project and errand day so I needed to prepare a meal that was quick to prepare, tasty and filling. After spending the morning driving around to a number of stores this morning the last thing I wanted to do was run out and pick up ingredients for a meal so I worked with what was in the house. Acorn squash was pulled from the cold room, cranberries from the freezer and other items from the pantry. The various items allowed me to create a meal that was savory with a nice touch of sweet to finish the meal that only took about 20 minutes to prepare.
What I made was a baked acorn squash stuffed with walnuts, cranberries, orange juice and hint of brown sugar. We also had a savory couscous as a side. I have provided the receipts below so that you can enjoy the same meal at some time.
Stuffed acorn squash
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cut each squash in half (make halves as even as possible) and scrape out seeds.
- Place squash cut side up in a large baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine walnuts, cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice and a drizzle of honey, and toss together. Make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Divide mixture into 4 parts and stuff into hollow center of squash.
- Top each half with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Cover baking dish loosely with aluminum foil and transfer to oven.
Bake for 60-90 minutes, or until squash is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan
- Add chopped onions and cook until soft
- Stir in crushed garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes
- Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil
- Remove saucepan from heat and cover. Allow to stand for 5 minutes
- Stir in parsley
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with the acorn squash