We woke to a cool morning so I decided to do a little baking before the heat of the day set in. I made a couple of fat-free quick breads that allowed me to use some of our garden harvest and a few over ripe bananas that we had hanging out in the freezer. I made mini zucchini chip and banana breads. Both breads are fat free, vegan, low in sugar and super most and favorable. The recipe for the zucchini bread can be found below and the banana bread can be found here. Substitute organic eggs for the flax eggs in the recipes if you are not concerned about eating vegan.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flax seed and 6 Tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 packed cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup carob chips, chocolate chips or nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 8 mini loaf pans or one standard loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and chips or nuts in a medium bowl.
- Grate the zucchini and pack into a measuring cup — dumping off any liquid that rises to the top of the measuring cup.
- In a large bowl mix the flax eggs, applesauce, brown sugar, cane sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zucchini.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan(s) and place in oven.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean. The exact amount of cooking time will depend on the oven and size of pans used.
- Cool on a rack and enjoy or freeze for a later date.