What a glorious Saturday! The sun is out and temperatures are rising. We picked up our new puppy last night, so needless to say we were up at the crack of dawn with Luna (the new puppy). She is a 6 week old rescue that is cute as can be and full or energy. Unfortunately, she has never been in a crate before and this was her first night away from her litter mates. Needless to say we have a good deal of training to do to get her use to new surroundings and gaining a comfort level with her kennel.
Since I was up before 5am I decided to make some apple cinnamon buns as a treat. This sweet roll allowed me to use some of the apples we canned last season and added a nice aroma to the house.
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plant based milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 5 apples, peeled, cored ans diced ( I used apples canned from last season)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Mix yeast, water, honey, oil and egg.
- Stir in half the flour until smooth.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead for five minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and allow to rise until double (about an hour).
- While dough is rising make the filling. Saute apples in the butter and brown sugar until slightly caramelized. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg and cool the mixture.
- When the dough has risen, roll out on a floured board until it is about 16 x 24 inches.
- Spread apple mixture over dough, spreading to the edges.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut into 12 pieces.
- Place the rolls cut side up into a prepared jelly roll pan. This will be a bit messy and some of the filling will fall out. Just spoon the extra filling on top of the rolls.
- Allow the rolls to rise for 45 – 60 minutes or until they have doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 -22 minutes.