Sundays are the only days that we have a hot breakfast in our house. It was so chilly this morning that I decided to make some apple waffles before we went outside to enclose the chicken run in plastic for the winter.
The waffles take a bit of time to make but are well worth the effort. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 Tbs baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cups plant based milk
- 1 apple, cored,peeled and shredded
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Stir the milk, apple, olive oil, and egg yolks into the flour mixture.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour about 1 cup of batter into a hot waffle iron, cooking until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup.