Woke up to a beautiful day, fresh sow on the ground, bright sunshine and deer and wild turkeys in the yard. What a great day to spend in the kitchen preparing foods for the week.
This week we will enjoy:
Some fresh baked breads – made a sprouted grain bread for this week.
Curried red lentil soup with chickpeas and quinoa – I found this lovely gluten-free vegan soup on the Zesty Cook blog. I replaced the yogurt with cashew cram and the chicken broth with a nice vegetable stock.
Vegetarian chili with winter squash and wild mushroom – Recipe to be posted soon.
For a sweet treat Grain-free banana cranberry & lemon breakfast cake. This tasty little gluten-free cake provided the perfect balance between sweet and tart.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas (approximately 2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup agave
- 6 tsp Ener-G egg replacer (you can use 4 eggs if you prefer)
- 8 tbs warm water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8 inch square baking dish with oil of your choice. Set aside.
- Mix the egg replacer and warm water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the coconut flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix together well with a fork to decrease any clumps.
- Add the vanilla and agave to the egg replacer and whisk well.
- Add mashed banana into your egg mixture and whisk together until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and stir together until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Add the melted coconut oil and stir once again until the batter is completely mixed together.
- Fold in the lemon zest and fresh cranberries into the batter. They should be evenly distributed throughout.
- Spoon the batter into a greased baking pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake it for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and then center when pierced with a toothpick or a knife comes out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes or so.
Adapted from a recipe at So Lets Hang Out