With a number of fall fruits on hand I made some fruit based ketchup to serve with a few meals this fall and winter. My spouse has an intolerance for tomatoes but like ketchup on a few of the items that I cook in the colder months, so I started looking around for a recipe that had the flavor and consistency ketchup without the tomatoes I found a recipe on the Low Amine Recipes blog that I could adapt for our needs.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup peeled, cored and chopped apple
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 C)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- On medium low heat, cook all ingredients together, covered, in a small pan for about 15 minutes or until the ingredients are soft.
- Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Once the mixture is cooled place in small containers freezing the portions that will not be used within a week.