I finally got tired of saving vegetable scraps to make a vegetable broth that eats a lot of energy to prepare and needs to be used right away or stored in the freezer. I was also not very happy about paying and arm and a leg for store bought broth that has no chemical additives when I didn’t have the time to make my own… So I decide to look into creating a vegetable broth powder that would have a long shelf life (for this type of item that would be 4-6 months in our household), was easy to prepare and would pass the “taste test” at our dinner table.
The following recipe is met all of the criteria that I defined. It also came with an extra bonus of smelling wonderful during the preparation process.
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup sea salt (we eat little salt so I used a 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp dried powdered lemon peel
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp powdered thyme
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- Place all, except parsley, in a blender and blend until well incorporated.
- Add the parsley and pulse until chopped and integrated into the mixture.
- Store in an airtight container.
Add 1 tablespoon of powder for every two cups of water used in a recipe.