For some reason we have really been in the mood for the corn dogs of our youth. The catch was that they had to be gluten-free, low fat, low sugar and still taste good. It turned out to be a bit of a tall order, but after a little research and some trial and error I came up with something that allowed us to have a childhood favorite without all of the guilt.
- 6 vegan dogs
- ⅔ cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour mixture
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dry mustard powder
- a dash of garlic powder
- a dash of onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup plant-based milk ( may not need this much milk)
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, spices, pepper, egg, 1/3 cup non-dairy milk and syrup together in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add additional non-dairy milk until the mixture is wet and can be worked with. (be careful it’s not too soupy or dry and doughy — it will need to stick to the dogs). Stir gently for 30 seconds.
- Dip each vegan dog into the cornmeal mixture, making sure its evenly coated. Then place on the prepared cookie sheet, moving the coating around as necessary to ensure it’s evenly coated.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and a little crisp.