Gluten-Free Rice Crispy Treats
These easy no-bake treats are free of gluten, dairy, corn, and soy. This version is one of those wonderful comfort foods that with a few changes is now packed protein and fibers, and dramatically reduced in sugar and fat.
1 1/4 cups gluten-free organic brown rice syrup
3/4 cup organic almond butter
2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 cups gluten-free crispy brown rice cereal (I use Nature’s Path Crispy Rice cereal — it is whole grain, low fat and wheat free)
- Line a baking pan with a piece of parchment paper that extends up the long sides. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the brown rice syrup over medium heat, and stir until it begins to bubble a bit. Remove from heat and stir in the almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract. As you stir the mixture, it should thicken and become glossy and elastic, much like caramel taffy.
- Pour the crispy rice cereal into a large heat-safe mixing bowl. Carefully pour in the warm syrup mixture, and using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, gently stir to coat all the cereal.
- Scoop the coated cereal into the lined baking pan and spread evenly, gently smoothing out the top surface. Cover the pan with a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Pop the pan into the fridge to chill.
- When the bars have firmed to the touch, remove them from the pan, gripping the parchment edges and set them on a cutting board. Use a large sharp knife to score and cut the squares.
- Wrap and chill. Store in the fridge.
Source: Glutenfree Goddess