Yesterday we spent the day playing and visiting with friends so today it was time to get back to chores. Fortunately, it stopped raining and the sun came out long enough for us to get the front and side yards mowed before it clouded over again. I guess the lower pasture will have to wait for another day.
Good news is that the chard as matured enough to make a tart this weekend.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme or basil, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp cold water
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopper chard, leaves and stems separated
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup part skim ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- fresh pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Combine flours, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center ans add 1/3 cup of oil and 5 tablespoons water. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and coat a 9 inch tart pan with olive oil spray.
- At the end of the 15 minutes roll the dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Transfer to a prepared tart pan and press into the bottom and up the sides.
- Trim off excess dough and prick the bottom ans sides with a fork.
- Bake the crust until firm and lightly brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes before adding filling.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped chard stems and cook, siring until just tender.
- Add garlic and cook, until fragrant.
- Add chopped chard leaves and 2 tablespoons of water and cook, stirring, until the leaves are just tender and the water has evaporated, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the greens to a sieve over a bowl and let drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, cheese, lemon zest and fresh ground pepper in a large bowl.
- Fold in the greens, olives and feta.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake the tart until the top is lightly browned and knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with a nice garden salad.