Today we will be having dinner with an ex-coworker and her husband. Since it promises to be a lovely day we will be enjoying our meal on the deck (revision: we have had two heavy rainstorms early this morning so the dining room table is also set just in case we will have to move inside this afternoon).
The menu for the dinner gathering is:
- Vegetarian antipasto tray and gluten-free rosemary crackers
- Red wine
- Salmon with Thai Sweet Chili Glaze (recipe below)
- Summer squash gratin (links offsite)
- Kale and quinoa salad (recipe below)
- Garden salad
- Gluten-free apple cake and herbal ice tea
Salmon with Thai Sweet Chili Glaze
- 1-1/2 pounds (or four 6-ounce pieces) salmon, skin on or off
- 6 tablespoons Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 scallions, green parts only, finely sliced
Combine sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and ginger in a shallow baking dish. Spoon 1/4 cup marinade into a small dish and set aside (this will be the sauce for the cooked fish). Add salmon fillets, skin side up, to remaining marinade and marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer salmon fillets to prepared baking sheet, skin side down, and drizzle a bit of the marinade over top. Broil salmon for 6-10 minutes, or until browned in spots and almost opaque in the center. Transfer salmon to serving platter and pour reserved sauce over top. Garnish with scallions and serve hot.
Kale and Quinoa Salad
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 cups kale, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup currants
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Put kale in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, pepper, and salt together in a bowl until oil emulsifies into the mixture; drizzle over kale. Add cooled quinoa, pecans, currants, and feta cheese to the dressed kale and toss to incorporate.