We spent this weekend preparing vegetable beds and planting the cold frames and the southern facing bed, and setting up tomato plants in the greenhouse. Next weekend we will move onto the other two beds. The beds in the picture are new this season so we also had to move about 1,600 pounds of organic grade soil into the new raised beds, needless to say sore muscles were had by all.
In an effort to make us feel better, I broke out the bottle of aspirin and baked some carob zucchini muffins.
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 whole banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- Whisk flour, carob powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- In another bowl, cream mashed banana with applesauce and raw sugar.
- Stir almond milk, vanilla and zucchini into the banana mixture.
- Add flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pan and bake 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and then serve or freeze.
Next weekend we need to tackle the remaining two vegetable beds — so I will have to come up with something new and yummy for next Sunday.