This weekend we spent the entire two day getting the vegetable gardens ready for planting, so there was little time for making meals. Saturday was basically what you could find in the frig. Sunday I put a pot of early greens on to simmer and rounded the dinner out with hot water cornbread — something that I have not made in a very long time. The bread is great a starch for those time when it is to hot to turn the oven on. Hope that you enjoy this very easy to make bread.
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple or brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, syrup and olive oil.
- Stir in boiling water.
- Pour oil into a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees.
- Shape cornmeal mixture into flattened balls using a heaping tablespoon.
- Fry flattened balls in hot oil, turning once, until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve at once with maple syrup or honey.