The warm weather that we have been having has me starting to cook lighter meals, but unfortunately most fresh vegetables are not in yet, so I am stuck with what I have in the pantry at the moment. Tonight we will have a lentil souffle (serves 2 or one person who like larger servings) with micro greens.
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pick over lentils and rinse well.
- Place lentils, bay leaf, herbs and water in a pan and bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and beat the lentils until they are very smooth.
- Beat in the butter, cream and egg yolks.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until very stiff and fold into the lentil mixture.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and fold in the grated cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a well greased souffle dish and sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the souffle is well risen, firm and brown.
- Serve immediately with a salad or green vegetable of your choice.