- 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh flat parsley
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, quartered
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- Place basil, parsley, pine nuts, garlic and lemon juice in a processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Add ricotta. Season with salt and pepper. Process until just combined.
- Serve pesto tossed through hot quinoa pasta, or as a dip.
Lemon basil pesto: Process 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves, 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 quartered garlic cloves and salt and pepper until well combined. Serve as a salad dressing or tossed through warm pasta.
Spinach and walnut pesto: Process 2 cups firmly packed young spinach leaves, 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts, 3 quartered garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese and salt and pepper until well combined. Toss through warm pasta or spread on toasted bread.