Here is a recipe that will use up a lot of the onions left at the end of winter. The recipe takes a bit of time to cook but is will worth the effort and is best cooked in an electric fry pan.
- 98-10 large sweet onions
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider
- white wine
- 2 tbls butter
- thyme and basil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- toasted crusty bread
- hard cheese
- Slice onions thinly and sprinkle with salt.
- Melt butter in pan and cook onions on low until caramelized (cover pan).
- Cover cooked onions with white wine and simmer until the onions thicken (5-10 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth, apple cider and seasoning and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Toast slices of crusty bread.
- Place slices of toasted bread on bowls of soup then top with cheese.
- Place bowls under broiler until melted