One of the meals that we will be making for this week is a vegetable stew that plays to our love of root vegetables and will be welcoming hot meal after a day of snowshoeing.
We got a foot of snow yesterday that we cannot wait to go out and play in … nothing like blazing a trail through fresh falling snow. It is also nice that our house backs up to 800 acres of state wood land, so we have lots of trails to explore this weekend.
- 1 large onion
- 5 cups mixed vegetables (carrot, rutabaga, parsnips, turnips, etc.)
- 2 1/2 cups stock
- salt ans pepper
- brown rice flour to thicken
- 1 cup gluten-free high protein flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable shorting
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Chop the onion into large pieces
- Peel and prepare the vegetables and chop into bit-sized pieces.
- Put the onion and vegetables into a pan and cover with the stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Mix the brown rice flour with a little water and stir into the stew to thicken.
- Place the ingredients for the dumplings into a bowl ans rub together until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add enough water to bind.
- Shape the mixture into 8 small dumplings.
- Bring the stew to a boil ans drop in the dumplings.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until dumplings are light ans tinder.
- Serve at once.
High-Protein Flour Blend
- 1 1/4 cup of bean flour (chickpea flour, soy flour, etc.)
- 1 cup arrowroot starch, cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
Store leftover flour in the refrigerator in airtight container .