Mashed Potato Topping
- 2 large potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 1 lb of portabello mushrooms, chopped (these fool non-vegetarians believe that there is meat in the dish)
- 1 lb eggplant, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, minced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs cider vinegar
- cayenne to taste
- Peel and scrub the potatoes, and cut them into chunks. Cook in boiling water until soft. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Add garlic ad milk and mash well. Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir in the parsley. Set aside.
- Saute onions in olive over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until they began to soften.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, celery, mushrooms, eggplant, and bell pepper. Stir until well combined, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the hers, stir, and cover again. Cook for about 5 more minutes, or until the eggplant is tender.
- Stir in the peas, cheese, breadcrumbs and vinegar. Add cayenne to taste. Transfer the mixture to a casserole and spread it out.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the vegetables. Dust with paprika.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for 25 or 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and bubbly around he edges.
Adapted from recipe in Enchanted Broccoli Forest